Thursday, October 27, 2005

The lynch mob aka the raving righties


So, Miers is out. She was both nominated and booted out the wrong way and for entirely wrong reasons. An utterly out of touch Pres. nominated her and the lynch mob, i.e. the raving righties, got her out. I can't help feeling some pity for Harriet. But you can't give the keys to the US constitution to every nice person. If I were a law student, I wouldn't have someone with that thin a resume as my advisor. Sorry.

There are many conspiracy theories going around right now. That she was a stalking horse for an ultra conservative waiting in the wings is one of them. Since I blog, I guess I have the power to start my own conspiracy theory. She is a single woman with no kids. That takes you far with Bush (Rice despite botching up Iraq got a step up this term). That doesn't take you very far with the raving righties. Not much color to the theory, but entirely possible given Bush's and the right of Taliban conservatives' records.


I am curious who the next nominee is going to be. Another woman? Gonsalves (that would be machine gunning oneself in the foot)? I don't think so. It's most possibly going to be some moron who will get the lefties screaming bloody murder. Will keep the news interesting for some more time. More fodder for my idle brain.

In other news, here is a link to an excellent radio interview about India's caste system. The interviewee is N.Jahdav, famous author and economist with Reserve Bank of India, India's version of the Federal Reserve. His dad was someone who broke the stone ceiling of India's caste system and educated his kids. His book is a story of his parents' life.

Chicago public radio

No comments: